But why speak of "national schizophrenia" in a blog that is suppose to be about agrarian interests? If you hang with me a few minutes I will show you the connection. It's not pretty but I suspect it will be reality in the not-to-distant future.
While I am obviously not a doctor, I believe I am correct in saying that schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by a disconnect between the mind, emotions and reality. Today as never before, our nation finds itself suffering from a schizophrenic national psyche. Here's what I mean by that:
- on the heels of the national tragedy of Sept. 11, 2001 the Congress was quick to sing "God Bless America" on the steps of the Capital but a few years later, a few blocks down the street the Supreme Court decided they know more about the institution of marriage that the One who created the institution of marriage. That day our nation gave its official notice to God - the reprobates of Sodom and Gomorrah know better than you do. The sacred institution of marriage is now open to whomever for whatever. Apart from the actual loss of human lives, has there ever been a sadder day in American history?
- our national motto is "In God We Trust" but our national mode of operation is "in myself and my stuff do I trust".
- we have national campaigns to "save the whales", "save the spotted owls" and "save the bog turtles" while at the same time we have national campaigns and organizations that participate in and promote the murder of our own unborn children. (And the "best and brightest" of the land, supposedly, decided this is normal, acceptable, legal behavior.) God help us!
- we have a government that sends our boys to far away lands, to put their lives on the line to free others from tyranny but their own religious liberties are threatened, trampled and disregarded on a regular basis by the same government that sends them into harms way.
- we have a president who encourages and empowers immoral behavior unabashedly but stands in front of the country and sings Amazing Grace.
- we have a national economy that continues to cry out for "more jobs" but continually ignores and disparages the primary job that God gave mankind thousands of years ago.
- we have a national economy that is built on the exploitation of the natural world, pollution, waste, debt, dishonesty and mismanagement in spite of the fact that God has given us clear instructions to be faithful managers and overseers of the beautiful world that he created for our enjoyment.
- we have a national budget that continues to pour billions of dollars into alleviating poverty but refuses to acknowledge and come to grips with the primary cause of poverty - divorce and fatherless families.
- we have a government that prides itself in letting the world know that "free speech" is one of the rights of a free society yet is beginning to go to great lengths to silence those who would stand against the politically correct nonsense of our day.
And this is just a small sampling of the symptoms of our national schizophrenia. You know as well as I do that I could go on and on.
The recent supreme court ruling is one of many (and perhaps the final?) occasions where America has shaken its fist in God's face. But as John Piper has pointed out, homosexuality is no worse than any other sin. Jesus shed his blood for all sinners; that would be you and me and everyone who has ever walked this earth. He died so all could be cleansed and forgiven from the sins that enslave them. But to push away this free gift of cleansing, forgiveness and freedom offered by his death and resurrection of Jesus Christ and instead to embrace, legitimize, normalize, legalize, institutionalize and celebrate that which God clearly calls sin is a dangerous place to be - for any individual or any nation. God have mercy.
Historically, those who are out of debt and have some land and the ability to provide their own food and warm shelter, without depending on the government, have fared the best during times of national calamity. And remember, it is entirely possible [and probable] that paper money will be absolutely worthless. [Allow me to illustrate. In doing some reading about this actual, historical event I came across this comical but sadly true story. After WW I, Europe was going through a very tough time economically. Their coins and paper money had lost about 95% of their value. During this time a wealthy elderly woman put a whole lot of money in her wheelbarrow and went downtown to try and buy food or other necessary supplies. While in the store shopping she left the wheelbarrow full of money right outside the door since it wouldn't fit in the door. When she went back outside her money was still there, but dumped on the pavement but the wheelbarrow wasn't there,. Somebody felt like the wheelbarrow was of more value than the whole pile of money, and stole it! ! ] Don't fool yourself into thinking that we are to smart for that kind of worthless money scenerio to happen here. History seems to have a way of repeating itself, so I've been told a few times.
Of course it is entirely possible that God's judgement will be so swift, thorough and complete that none of the above (growing your own food and providing your own shelter) will amount to a "hill of beans". But it is also very possible that these things, and other practical, manual skills may be the difference between you and your family surviving or not. Sobering isn't it? Lord have mercy !
Two scriptures that come to mind at a time like this:
But He knew their thoughts, and said to them, "Any kingdom divided against itself is laid waste; and a house divided against itself falls".
For they sow the wind - and they reap the whirlwind.
"God help us" is what comes to mind; but know He will only do so if we humble ourselves, repent and turn from our wickedness.
Until next time,